Kids Corner: Poison Awareness

Your one or two-year-old is more likely to be poisoned than any other age group, that's according to

Tracy Dethlefs, Trauma Coordinator at CHI Good Sam says, "kids explore the world with the mouth, a lot of the toddlers as they scoot around and they find something it goes in their mouth right away."

In most homes, harmful chemicals are kept outside the house and out of the reach of children, but many harmful ingestibles can be found all over the home and for young children can easily be mistaken for something else.

"It can cause damage to organs and it could send kidneys into problems or it could cause swelling in the brain, there's a lot of different side effects that can happen with a chemical ingestion," she says.

She says the number one thing is safe proofing, "make sure that chemicals are put up and out of the way and behind a lock."

It's also a good idea to buy products with childproof packaging. And experts suggest if you're going to keep chemicals underneath the sink it's best to keep them childproof locked.

And keep in mind it's not only your house you need to be thinking about but other homes children may be visiting as well.

"When grandparents come to stay or when we go to a grand parents house making sure we keep those off the table. Many of those medications could be cardiac medications and those could be very damaging to a young person's body," says Dethlefts.

Tracy says to always keep chemicals in their original bottles so you don't get them mix up with other things, and when it comes to poisonings it's better to be safe than sorry.

"It's always a safe bet to take them to the emergency room and get them tested a lot of times a blood test can tell us what kind of chemicals have been ingested into the body even if we didn't witness it."

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off