Two Huskers named to weekly B1G recognition
Senior Ben Miller and junior Jake Hohensee were each instrumental in Nebraska posting a 4-1 record last week, including a series win over Maryland, the preseason pick to win the Big Ten. Monday afternoon the league office announced that Miller was tabbed as the league’s player of the week and Hohensee earned pitcher-of-the-week accolades.
Pitcher of the Week
Jake Hohensee, Nebraska
Jr. – SP – Lincoln, Neb. – Lincoln East
• Earned a 3-1 series-opening win over nationally ranked Maryland
• Struck out a career high eight batters in 8.1 innings of work, while allowing just three hits and one earned run
• Collects his first career Pitcher of the Week honor
• Last Nebraska Pitcher of the Week: Matt Waldron (May 16, 2016)
Monday marked the first time Hohensee has been named Big Ten Pitcher of the Week and he’s the second Husker pitcher to earn the award this year, joining Jake Meyers.
Player of the Week
Ben Miller, Nebraska
Sr. – 1B – Clive, Iowa – West Des Moines Valley
• Led the Cornhuskers to a 4-1 week, including a conference series win over nationally ranked Maryland and victories versus Creighton and Omaha
• Batted .600 on the week with 12 hits, six RBI and five runs scored
• Earns the second Player of the Week award of his career
• Last Nebraska Player of the Week: Ben Miller (May 16, 2016)
Miller has now been named Big Ten Player of the Week twice in his career and is also the last Husker to earn the award, achieving it last May.
The Huskers are back in action Tuesday night at Kansas State, and then return home this weekend with a three-game series against the Iowa Hawkeyes.
Freshman of the Week
Dominic Canzone, Ohio State
OF – Sagamore Hills, Ohio – Walsh Jesuit
• Led the Buckeyes to a 3-1 week with a series victory over Penn State and a win over Kent State
• Hit .462 on the week, scoring two runs, belting one home run and adding seven RBI on seven hits
• Earns the first Freshman of the Week award of his career
• Last Ohio State Freshman of the Week: Brady Cherry (Feb. 29, 2016)