Nebraska quarterback Patrick O'Brien planning to transfer
LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) —
Nebraska quarterback Patrick O'Brien said Thursday he plans to transfer because he isn't a fit for the spread-option offense being installed by new coach Scott Frost.
The school said O'Brien's request for a release will be granted. Former coach Mike Riley recruited O'Brien to play in a pro-style offense. Frost brought his spread-option with him from Central Florida, and O'Brien realized after eight spring practices that it wasn't for him.
O'Brien posted a message on Twitter in which he thanked Frost and his staff. He said he learned a lot in the short time he spent with them "but it just wasn't the right fit."
Frost said on Tuesday he and his staff were beginning to give more practice snaps to the quarterbacks who were separating themselves in the competition. Quarterbacks coach Mario Verduzco said O'Brien's snaps had been reduced.
O'Brien's departure leaves the Huskers with just two scholarship quarterbacks in redshirt freshman Tristan Gebbia and freshman Adrian Martinez. They also have walk-on Andrew Bunch. Noah Vedral is practicing but won't play this fall per transfer rules.
O'Brien appeared in three games as Tanner Lee's backup last season.
"I loved every moment I spent at this school and will cherish it for a lifetime," O'Brien wrote. "I now will move on to a new school and I look to continue my football career."